Nauticat 38 – Charging solutions

Yachting Home Forums All things Technical Above Decks Nauticat 38 – Charging solutions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I want to move the boat to a harbour mooring, but need a way to keep the batteries charged. Does anyone have experience on solar charging on a ketch model. Where do you site the panels ?

I’ve seen wind generators on the mizzen but that looks odd and I can’t help feeling that would be wrong.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Rgds

Richard

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Richard, we have a 100watt solid panel on the roof on two purpose made bars that allow the sunroof to slide under. We have a really good quality regulator bluesolar 75/15 MPPT which is most important.

It keeps our 360ah battery bank charged when we are off grid, and running fridge, TV etc. We do have led lights and that helps big time.

Can send some pics next time we are down at boat

Have a great Christmas everybody

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Simon,

looks good and simple,

rgds

Richard.

Piers Covill
    Keymaster

Looks good. I have the same concept but using flexi panels but the output is disappointing. However the flexi ones allow people (children….) to jump all over them, but I thinking that I do need more efficiency.

I have thought about some frame arrangement over the davits.. I saw this on another NC43 like mine and seemed to be a viable option.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Simon,
    Do you cruise in sunnier climes or are we talking the often overcast UK.
    We find the fridge depletes our 2 leisure batteries in 24 hours and running the engine at anchor for an hour or so only partially recharges (as well as being noisy and antisocial).
    A panel that keeps the fridge going when anchored for a few days would be wonderful, not to mention being able to listen to the radio!
    Cost-wise – is this a cheaper option than a wind generator when you factor in all the bits and pieces, would you say?

39Schuss
    Blocked

My NC33 has 330Ah open lead acid batteries that exibit their typical high auto-discharge current.
    My concern was only to cope with this discharge current while not leaving the boat connected to the pier power supply.
    A mere 30W solar pannel connected through a very basic solar regulator (no MPPT here) is more than enough to do the job. My batteries appear fully charged whenever I visit her evey 6 weeks in winter.
    This is not a charging solution, 30W is not enough at all for thet, but the effective 1A charging current during winter time (low sun or cloudy) is the same order of magnitude as the auto-discharge rate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Useful article from Practical Boat Owner on selection of panels:

Solar Panels – everything you need to know!

rgds

Richard

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have completed my Solar installation today.

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I bought all the kit from Photonic Universe who I met at the London Boat show. Very easy to deal with and I think reasonably priced. I bought one 130W panel which was the biggest that I could fit on the coach roof. The order is below:

http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/238-130W-semi-flexible-solar-panel-for-motorhome-caravan-boat-with-eyelets-and-fasteners-made-in-Austria.html – (£259.99 show price)

http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/66-10A-dual-battery-solar-charge-controller-with-a-remote-LCD-meter.html – (£73.99)

http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/146-Pair-of-5m-single-core-extension-cable-leads-40mm-for-solar-panels-and-solar-charging-kits.html (24.99)

http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/125-5m-40mm-double-core-extension-cable.html (18.99 x2)

Running the cables was very easy and connecting the whole thing up was also easy. I’ve not fixed the panel in place yet as I want to see the best position and the best place to fix the wiring run on the coachroof, but overall it is looking good. Nice to see the Amps going into the battery without costing anything…

rgds

Richard.

Roger Sturge
    Participant

That sounds a good solution. I inherited a wind generator on my mizzen mast and it is very effective in maintaining battery charge, but I don’t leave any electrics on when I leave the boat. I did have problems with a rope getting tangled rond it but the has been sorted by rerouting.

39Schuss
    Blocked

Hello Roger,

Any chance of some more information regarding mizzen mount for your wind generator ?
    What type of gen’ is it ?

Many thanks

Roger Sturge
    Participant

My wind generator is very old so I suggest you research current models.

Attached photo gives a reasonable view of the bracket. Be sure the fan doesn’t foul any ropes form the masthead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.